Perth Tai Chi Academy Beginner Classes
Ready to get started?
Select from below to register for one of our term classes or one of our training workshops.
Perth Tai Chi Academy Beginner classes normally reach maximum capacity quickly due the latest COVID-19 restrictions. We recommend registering early to secure your spot as places fill fast!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
WHERE DO YOU TEACH YOUR CLASSES?
- Perth Tai Chi Academy Classes are conducted at Rossmoyne Hall (cnr of Central Road and Fourth Ave) on Saturday mornings 9.00am for L1 Beginners and 10.15am for L2 Intermediate.
WHERE ELSE DO YOU TEACH?
- Perth Tai Chi Academy classes and curriculum are primarly held at Rossmoyne Hall on Friday morning, Saturday morning and Monday evening. However if neither of these times suit, you may enquire at the following locations:
- Manning Seniors Centre
- Willetton Rostrata Community Centre
- Gosnells Addie Mills Seniors Centre
HOW MUCH ARE YOUR CLASSES?
- Classes at Rossmoyne Hall are conducted as 10 week terms at $120 per term, at one session per week, payable only through online registration.
- Term schedules follow the Western Australian School term calendar.
- We do not offer a ‘pay as you go’ system.
IS TAI CHI THE SAME AS YOGA?
- While Tai Chi and Yoga share the same principles in terms of philosophy, mental spirituality and fitness benefits, they are not the same.
- Yoga commonly holds its postures statically to build strength and flexibility, some standing and some on the floor.
- Tai Chi does not require a floor mat and usually shoes are worn.
- Tai Chi postures are continually flowing from one movement to the next, rarely pausing. This is to help promote the flow of chi energy. Tai Chi is also performed standing, while the movements simulate martial art applications.
- In order to experience ‘chi flow’, you will be expected to remember movements of a routine and link them together smoothly and continuously for this to occur. It may not happen straight away, but if you are dedicated and prepared to work at it, results will come.
CAN I COME AND TRY FOR FREE TO SEE IF I LIKE IT?
- No. It is recommended that you sign up for a complete 10 week term to get a better understanding and appreciation of the Tai Chi experience. Tai Chi is an art that has a lot of depth which can take a lifetime to fully master.
- Attending a ‘One Off’ class will not give you ample opportunity to appreciate the benefits that Tai Chi can offer. If however, you find that after the 10 week term, that Tai Chi is not for you, then you do not have to continue.
- At least completing one term will give you some knowledge to be able to discuss and explain Tai Chi to others
WHAT STYLE OF TAI CHI DO YOU TEACH?
- All new beginners are taught a modified version of the Beijing 24 Step Barehand Routine which is predominately based on the Yang style of Tai Chi.
- We also have short simplified routines based on the Chen, Wu, Sun and Wu-Hao styles which gives you an sampling of the different styles to help you choose your preferred style when proceeding to the Advanced classes.
- Click here to learn more about our CURRICULUM
CAN I JUST LEARN THE BASICS TO GET STARTED?
- You can take our free online prep courses from the comfort of your own home. These courses will teach our functional warm up routine and basic fundamental principles: ONLINE COURSES
- We recommend you start here, as it will prepare you before joining our classes and give an insight to how our classes are structured.
I’VE NEVER DONE TAI CHI BEFORE WILL IT BE EASY FOR ME TO LEARN?
- Every individual is different. Some people like it immediately, while some others take a little longer before they begin to enjoy it.
- It is best to approach it with an open mind without any preconceived ideas and just let the Tai Chi experience take over.
I’M NOT SURE IF I’M GOING TO LIKE TAI CHI. IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY I CAN TRY IT?
- We encourage you to sign up for our free online preparation courses HERE. This will help you figure out whether you want to join our classes or whether you would like to do continue with Tai Chi at all.
- You will also have the option of continuing with the other online courses if you can’t make our scheduled classes.
- Or try some of the other located classes HERE.
I DEFINITELY WANT TO JOIN YOUR CLASSES. WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE I BEGIN?
- Come to classes with an open mind and without any preconceived ideas.
- Loose comfortable clothing with flat soled shoes is recommended. No high heels, No skirts.
- Although Tai Chi is a slow gentle exercise, it is important to work at your own comfort level and take rest breaks whenever you need to.
- In a typical Tai Chi class, it can be expected that you will have to learn and remember movements of a form or routine. This can be challenging and frustrating for most people, but if you persevere, you will get there in the end. That is what Tai Chi is trying to teach you.
- For more advice you can read: ADVICE FOR NEW STUDENTS STARTING TAI CHI
- You can also take the online preparation courses to build up your confidence and understanding. ONLINE COURSES
- Ready to get started? SIGN UP NOW!
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I PRACTICE?
- This is dependent on the individual. It’s always best to apply what you learn on a regular basis. Some people prefer to practice every day, some others just once a week. You can practice as many times as you like or as little as you like.
- However, your progress will be faster if you practice with sincerity and commitment. As the saying goes, “Quality over Quantity”
WILL TAI CHI HELP ME RELAX AND REDUCE MY STRESS WHILE OVERCOMING OTHER PHYSICAL PROBLEMS?
- Tai chi is an in-depth art that involves a lot of different aspects in order to improve your health and fitness. Generically speaking, you will benefit from it as an overall maintenance program, rather than using Tai Chi to target specific areas of needs.
- For example, Tai Chi has been proven to help people suffering from arthritis however a Tai Chi program does not directly treat arthritis specific problems. The same can be said for diabetes and other ailments. but through the practice of Tai Chi, you will notice significant improvements to your overall health.
I’VE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY TAI CHI BUT WAS AFRAID TO START. I WASN’T TOO SURE IF IT WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR ME. WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?
- We would recommend that you try our online preparation course HERE , that will give you a thorough understanding of at least the basic fundamentals and a very functional warm-up exercise routine.
- At the very least, if you decide that Tai Chi is not to your liking, you will still get a gentle exercise routine that you can use on a daily basis.
ISN’T TAI CHI ONLY FOR OLDER ADULTS AND SENIORS?
- While Tai Chi is commonly associated with this demographic, it is better to start while you are younger and fitter.
- Tai Chi is an excellent health fitness maintenance program that can last a lifetime and is known for increasing life longevity.
- Unlike other high energy sports or exercises, Tai Chi is the only program that will allow you to continue until your twilight years.
DO YOU OFFER CORPORATE SESSIONS?
- Yes we do depending on availability of our instructors. Corporate sessions can be tailored to suit your needs.
- Whether you just need a one-off session for a conference or a series of classes as part of your company’s wellness program. We can provide.
- CONTACT us for details and rates.
DO YOU OFFER PRIVATE CLASSES?
- We no longer offer this service.
CAN I BUY SOME SESSIONS AS A GIFT FOR A FAMILY MEMBER?
- We would refer you sigh up to our online prep courses as a sampler and then sign up for full term.
- As mentioned earlier, it may take some time to appreciate Tai Chi.
- ONLINE COURSE or SIGN UP HERE
DO YOU SELL ANY TAI CHI SILK UNIFORMS OR TRAINING APPARATUS’?
- We suggest that you search online for anything specific that you are looking for.
Ready to get started? SIGN UP NOW!
Didn’t find the answer you were looking for? Go back to our CONTACT page for your enquiry.